Wednesday 28 December 2011

My second New Year Resolution - Sew a Dress for Myself

A couple of weeks back, I wrote about my first New Year resolution on exercising more. You can read about it here.

My second New Year’s resolution is to sew a dress for myself. Actually I think I should start wearing more dresses. I practically live in jeans and t-shirts whenever I go out during the weekends. To me it is practical and comfy. I doubt that I will be donning a frock on Sundays so the only other way is to try to change the outfits I wear to the office. I shall add more dresses to my wardrobe and also attempt to make one myself.


 I found this really simple and basic pattern from Pip Lincolne’s book Sew La Tea Do (published by Hardie Grant) called Miss Marlo Dress. It has no zippers (which seem scary stuff to sew) and Pip will be there holding my hand at every step (sort of.. according to the blurp at the back of the book). It will be such an achievement to be able to wear my very own handmade dress and hopefully be able to brag it to all my mates at the office (or hide in the cleaning cupboard until the day is over). I planned to use Jess Van Den’s (of Epheriell Designs) idea of making one from a vintage bed sheet (or at least an old one). That way if I make a mistake, I will not be wasting too much money on material. Now I need to scour around op shops to find pretty sheets to cut up.

Hope that you will keep me company while I blog about my dressmaking journey in the New Year.If you have any tips for beginner dress making, do share them here. I will love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading comments from my readers. Let me know what you think. Thanks :)